Local & Regional Food
Interest in local and regional foods has escalated, resulting in development of a variety of local food projects focuses on new production, marketing, research, policies, events, and impacts in communities throughout Ohio.
- Get an overview of local food systems and what's happening in Ohio.
- Quickly find resources to plan, develop, finance, market, evaluate local food movements.
- Connect with local, state and national networks.
- Listen to success stories, watch video clips & read case studies.
- Link to various Ohio organizations and to Ohio MarketMaker, an interactive Web site connecting producers, buyers and others throughout the food chain.
Ohio Farmers' Market Managers formed a new network in 2009.
Local Food Systems focuses on networking local food systems throughout the state and neighboring communities.
Assess Local Food systems
- OSU Social Responsibility Initiative (SRI)
- Community Food Security Assessment Toolkit
- Cincinnati Community Food Assessment Research Project 2005-2006
- Moving Food Along the Value Chain: Innovations in Regional Food Distribution
Promote local food
- Add your free profile to Ohio MarketMaker
- Ohio Department of Agriculture attracted a record number of partners through an updated Ohio Proud campaign. View promo
- Ohio Farm Bureau promotes local foods through an Our Ohio magazine, television show, and website.
- OEFFA (organic)
Develop value-added foods
- OSU Food Industries, Central Ohio
- ACEnet, Southeast, Ohio
- Center for Innovative Food Technology (CIFT), Northwest Ohio
Develop local food systems and local food policies
Link local food & culinary tourism - coming soon
Measure impacts of local food programs (economic, social, environmental) - coming soon
If you are a consumer interested in buying local food or learning to grow, raise, and preserve local food, visit:
If you are a business interested in buying local food, visit Ohio MarketMaker to find local food sources:
- Convenience & Grocery Stores (small/large)
- Caterers & Restaurants
- Government Agencies, Schools & Institutions
- Food Banks, cooperatives, etc.
If you are a producer interested in selling local food:
- Marketing Local Food
- Distribution Supply Chain Basics: The Dynamics of Change in the U.S. Food Marketing Environment
- Financing Growing Opportunity
- Guide to Farm Bill Funding
If you are a community leader interested in advancing local food:
- Local economic developers
- Social justice supporters
- Environmental interest organizations
- Others special interest groups
- Leopold Center
- On-line course about how to frame the work of promoting local food systems.
- Wallace Center, Winrock International
- Sustainable Development
- Sustainable Ag. & Food System Funders
If you are an educator or researcher interested in local food:
Benefits of developing a local food system include:
- consumer satisfaction with nutritious and delicious food
- business profitability & viability
- local community & economic development
- environmental impacts from reduced transportation costs
- social benefits encouraged through building local relationships
Stories form all of these perspectives coming soon
Learn from the Experts:
- Local and Regional Food, Julie Fox, Direct Marketing Specialist, OSU
- Responding to the Growth of Local Foods, Lisa Schacht, Schacht Farm Market
- Creating Change in the Food System: The role of regional food networks in Iowa
- Lorain, Medina and Wayne County CVBs have formed "Fresh Ohio" to promote local food and more. "Fresh Ohio" debuted at the 2009 Heartland Travel Showcase.
- Cleveland, OH - City Fresh & Cleveland-Cuyahoga County Food Policy Coalition
- Our Ohio, farm fresh food stories from Ohio Farm Bureau
- Ohio Proud Connections Newsletter launched in spring 2012
Ohio MarketMaker is a web-based resource for all businesses in the food supply chain. The program is part of a national network that connects food producers with food buyers - retailers, grocery stores, processors, caterers, chefs, and other food supply chain contacts.
Various Ohio organizations promote local food and beverages including: